Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Farmer's market

Last weekend Eric's mom and I visited the local farmer's market. 
We got adventurous and tried a cactus quesadilla.  It wasn't bad...the cactus strips tasted like slimy green beans.  Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of it, but it looked something like this:


 photo source

I spent less than $10 and got peaches, peppers, radishes, cucumbers, & zucchini....enough veggies to last us a couple weeks!

Thankfully, this was a couple days before the tragic camera incident, so I have some photos to share:

Prickly pears (Jungle Book anyone?)

IMG_0185

Bitter Melon. The lady at the booth said people cut it into strips and put it on salads.

IMG_0183

I miss the family's garden mucho.
IMG_0182

Crazy and yummy flavors of juices!  (plus horchata)
IMG_0184

Peaches galore
IMG_0181

and some lovely orchids

IMG_0180

I wish I had a photo to share as well of the pretty autumn bouquet Eric's mom bought me...but our camera broke before I got one of it arranged in a vase.  It included sunflowers and dahlias in yellows and reds.

It finally cooled down this week (in the mid 60's) which was a welcome surprise. I'm craving pumpkin everything and hope to pick some up in the next week or two :-)

First thing on the menu: homemade pumpkin spice lattes.  Take that, Starbucks!

1 comment:

  1. wow, cactus quesadilla! that's super adventurous. slimy green beans? You didn't sell me on cactus :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails