Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A bookclub

Last summer, with E so busy studying, I decided to pick up reading again and just grabbed something that looked interesting off his bookshelf: The Age of Innocence. So I brought it to work to read on my lunch break.

Barb, a co-worker joined me in the lunch room a few minutes later and commented that she had just began reading the same book, so we started chatting about it.
Then another co-worker joined us, and was curious about our book discussion. It turns out he is extremely well-read, and had read Age of Innocence several times.

We started discussing our progress in the book regularly at lunches, and when we finished the first book, I mentioned that I thought it was time I finally started reading Harry Potter (since it is one of my husband's favorite book series).

We all agreed to read the together--although Dan(the 2nd co-worker) had already read them several times. After discussing the books gradually at lunches, we decided to have an official meeting to discuss the whole series.

And that is how our book club began!

Each of us takes a turn picking out a book and leads the discussion. We usually hold our meetings at each other's houses.I've been really enjoying the variety of books that have been chosen.

Since we started last July, we added another member--the wife of faculty member who is also an avid reader.

Here are some of the other books we've gone through so far:















I've grown a lot as a reader and as a person through discussing novels with this group. I would highly recommend finding a few other avid reader you look up to and forming a club of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails